Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation
Patient Service Specialist / Billing Authorization & Appeals
Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation, a joint venture between Baylor Scott & White Health and Select Medical, carries a well-known reputation for patient care and exceptional quality outcomes. We serve all people through exemplary healthcare, education, research and community service. Since opening in 1981, our flagship inpatient rehab hospital in Dallas has received repeated recognition by U.S. News & World Report as one of the best rehab hospitals in the nation. All of our inpatient hospitals are accredited by The Joint Commission, including specialty accreditation for our stroke rehab programs. And for five consecutive years we have been recognized as a “Best Place to Work” by the Dallas Business Journal.
With the combined expertise of our joint venture partners, Baylor Scott & White Rehabilitation has become one of the most recognized and largest rehabilitation providers in the nation. We have continuously grown in size, scope and excellence across North Texas, and in the summer of 2018 our footprint has expanded to include new partners in Central Texas. With this expansion, we have more than 2,300 talented, caring and compassionate team members working in the following environments:
Choose to be an integral part of a team that helps patients achieve their greatest potential and work toward productive, independent lives. The Patient Service Specialist (PSS) ensures the highest level of customer service to patients, fellow employees, and referral sources through the coordination and administration of facility’s “front office” activities. Ensure that all activities that directly affect billing for services provided are accurate, timely and fully documented. Provide efficient cash collection through excellent reimbursement practices while ensuring compliance with relevant laws, regulations and established company policies and compliance programs.
Employees in this position will:
1. Maintain a system of controls to ensure proper daily entry of patient data in patient management software/spreadsheets.
2. Obtain patient, billing and insurance information in order to maintain current and accurate information in patient files, patient management software/spreadsheets, and in billing system.
3. Contacts insurance carriers to confirm coverage, verify benefits, and obtain authorization/pre-certification to ensure reimbursement.
4. Perform general clerical functions as necessary and must have a working knowledge of all front desk duties.
5. Verify insurance eligibility of patients as needed and authorizations to determine if services are covered.
6. Obtain information regarding patient financial responsibility and provide the information to the Admissions Coordinator/Clinical Operations Manager.
7. Work with patients, doctors, payers, CBO, Select Medical internal departments, etc. to resolve issues as needed.
8. Helps to create a workplace culture that emphasizes the importance of customer service & teamwork.
9. Perform other duties as requested.
Minimum Skills, Knowledge & Abilities (including licensure, certification and other job-related credentials)
Baylor Institute for Rehabilitation offers a very comprehensive career ladder in whatever may interest you.
Invent your career at Baylor Institute for Rehabilitation!
Select Medical is an equal opportunity employer committed to dealing with employees in a nondiscriminatory manner and based on job-related qualifications and abilities. The Company will recruit, hire, train, and promote all persons without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, veteran status, age (40 and over), marital status, disability or history of disability (except where physical or mental abilities are a bona fide occupational qualification) or any other protected status.